Slow progress on the scratchboard portrait

The crosshatching on the face is taking quite a bit longer than the type of work I’m used to doing. The tricky part is making the texture even, while still accounting for variations in light and shadow. It’s a fun challenge, so it’s not frustrating. As I get into the shadow side of the face I have to slow down and decide how to render it. To make it darker the marks have to be spaced further apart, which makes them more visible as individual marks. That is fine.

For this portrait I will be doing the changes in light and dark with variations in the scratch pattern. In future pieces I will try diluted ink washes over certain areas (with additional scratches over the top) to create darker areas without loss of detail.

Scratchboard Portrait

My scratchboard tools have been dormant for too long. There are some amazing artists doing scratchboard these days. After looking at a few of their websites, I decided to push myself to create something a few notches above the previous work I’ve done.

Inertia is my biggest obstacle. Once I get started, I’ll be fine. So, I’d better get started. I’ll post the results at the end of the day, good or bad.

UPDATE July 28:
I didn’t post the results because I was still working on it. This is where I ended up: