Candy is very close to the finish. There is a dog tag in the reference photograph that I have been puzzling over – whether to render it or leave it out. I think I will render it.
This piece sat idle yesterday. I needed a mental break from rendering dog fur. Today has been going well and my progress is good. With more “landmarks” in place, it gets easier to render the more vague areas and blend them into the whole. It’s been fun to watch it come together.
Here are two different stages:
This is my progress so far on Candy. It’s on an 8×10 Ampersand Scratchbord. I’ve been doing the bulk of the scratch work with a #2 exacto blade. It’s the same pointy shape as the common #11, just larger.
This long fur is proving to be a challenge, but I’m hoping to make it work without any major problems.
This series of images shows the progress on the Dickinson portrait. It was also an excuse to experiment with a gallery.
I started this scratchboard portrait late in the day yesterday. As stated before, this is on an 8×10 board. Mr. Dickinson is one of the main characters from the movie, Dead Man. Robert Mitchum played the part. The bulk of the work was done today.
There is still the possibility of doing more on the hair, but I think I like it where it is – with dramatic shadows. To continue might weaken the impact so I feel more comfortable leaving some to the imagination.
Next up is a pet portrait commissioned by a man in Australia. The dog looks like a Maltese to me. I’ve got it set up and ready to start. Now I just need to get a few scratches on it to get the party started.
At the same time I’ll be doing a piece as a gift to a friend in California. He has a thing for Dead Man, a very dark comedy, and I picked a captured movie frame as my reference.
Both projects will be on 8×10 Ampersand Scratchbord. I’ll be posting images as soon as I start to make some progress.
The shadows were more difficult than the highlights. It would have been more dramatic to leave the shadow without detail, but for this portrait I wanted to have a more complete look. I feel good about how it turned out, and I’m ready to start another one.
I learned some things doing this project. When I did one of my Prismacolor portraits I tried using Saral white transfer paper. It’s like graphite paper, but the lines it makes are white instead of black. Anyway, the lines were a bit too heavy, and I spent a lot of time erasing them. I read about using Chaco Paper instead. It’s the same basic concept, but it puts down a much lighter line. I tried it on this scratchboard portrait and really liked the lines. But, I did run into a bit of trouble removing them. You are supposed to be able to use water to remove the lines, so I wet them with a little watercolor brush. That removed quite a bit, but there was still a residue remaining. I found I had to wipe the wet area with an optical cleaning cloth to remove them completely. It doesn’t scratch the surface, but it does add a tiny bit of shine to those areas. I’m hoping that a coating of Krylon clear spray will even out the look of the surface.